cinch contains automation to aid in the process of creating releases on GitHub and PyPI, driven by Travis CI.
As a maintainer, to create a release of cinch, follow this checklist:
- Ensure version has been bumped in setup.py, following Semantic Versioning guidelines
- Ensure significant changes are listed in the CHANGELOG
- Merge desired changes, including the above checklist items to the master branch
- The release is based on git tags, and the following steps can be followed to tag the release, given that the upstream remote in your git config is named upstream (adjust git remote and version number as necessary):
git fetch upstream master
git merge upstream/master
git tag v0.9.0
git push --tags upstream master
- It will take about fifteen minutes or so for the automation to add the release to PyPI, and while you wait, manually copy the release notes from the CHANGELOG to the GitHub releases page. This step is something that could possibly be automated in the future.